Athlete of the Month: Mel Conroy
We at CrossFit East Coast have decided to start participating in a tradition that spans many CrossFit gyms, Athletes of the Month. We have many wonderful athletes within our gyms and want to start recognizing them with a feature each month.
Rockland Athlete of the Month: Mel Conroy
Who is Mel? Mel is the guy standing on the top of the podium at his first competition. It is fitting for this to come out the day after Siobhan and him had a dominating performance at the CrossFit 2A Spring Fling competition. While I coach mostly in Braintree, I do get to train in Rockland quite a bit. What impressed me about Mel was that he was always in before and after class working on his weaknesses. And it wasn’t a few attempts, it might be a half hour of tripping on single-unders every day so that he could start stringing doubles along. Mel has an incredible work ethic and tremendously positive attitude that is infectious when you’re in the gym. Congrats on all your success so far Mel! More podium finishes are definitely in your future. -Coach Nick
- What do you do for work? I am the owner/operator of Mel Conroy Painting. We specialize in residential and commercial painting, power washing, and light carpentry.
- What would you like us to know about your and / or your family? My lovely wife Jennifer and I have been married 8 years. We both love to travel (we are long overdue for our next vacation) and love to spend time with our rescue dog Jack.
- What is one thing that we may not know about you? I have a tremendous fear of failure.
- How long have you been CrossFitting? I started Crossfit as part of the September 2016 challenge class. 7 months feels like yesterday. I still remember doing my first burpee!
- What time do you typically train? Typically I train at 4:30 in Rockland. I really enjoy the regulars in that class. They welcomed me from the start, encourage me every day to be a better athlete, offer great tips from the knowledge they have acquired, and most importantly are really great people!
- What is your favorite CrossFit movement and why? I think most people will think I’m crazy, but the burpee is my favorite movement. It incorporates so many muscle groups to execute and when they are programmed in large numbers really gets your heart rate going!
- What are your current CrossFit goals? I currently have three sets of goals. My immediate goal is to squat +300#. My current PR is 265 (up from 235 on 1/1). My midrange goal is to be able to rx every workout. I have a target date of 9/1 for this goal. Although I am rx-ing a lot of the workouts now, I still have a long way to go! My long-term goal is to improve my placing from this years open.
- What are your current life goals? To be a better person to my family, my friends, and myself.
- What is your favorite memory at CrossFit East Coast? That’s a hard question, there’s so many to choose from. I guess I would have to say the 17.2 workout. I had never done a muscle up before, and when I got one the gym exploded! I managed 9 more and the whole time I fed off the energy in the crowd. That enthusiasm and camaraderie with other athletes is one of my favorite aspects of CrossFit!
- How has CrossFit impacted your life outside of the box? I am a much healthier person both physically and mentally outside the gym. Energy levels, confidence, strength are all up! Weight, blood pressure, and stress levels are all down!
- How would you describe CrossFit East Coast to others? If I could wrap it up in one word “awesome.” The classes are challenging, the coaches are amazing, the athletes are all fantastic people. I really feel part of a community that wants success not just individually, but for all those around them!
2017 04 03